Saturday, September 7, 2013

If I Stay

Title: If I Stay (If I Stay #1)
Author: Gayle Forman
Publisher: Penguin USA
Published Year: 2010
Pages: 320

Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

A critically acclaimed novel that will change the way you look at life, love, and family.

In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces-to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must take. Heartwrenchingly beautiful, Mia's story will stay with you for a long, long time.

*****

If I Stay becomes one of my favorite because it has a lot of emotions. I was brought back and forth to Mia's memories before the accident and when she's standing next to her almost-dead-body, invisible from everyone. The story is written from Mia's point of view. At first, her memories are beautiful. Her life has a lot of differences, her family and her music. I like the music things the most in this book. I personally a musician and it's just so great to read a book that has a lot of it. I admire how her parents and little brother loved Punk music and she gets into classic, playing cello. Not all parents can understand and still support when their child going to different direction. Mia is also having a relationship with a lead singer and lead guitar of a emocore band (Ha! I don't even know what kind of genre it is). This relationship reminds me of August Rush movie. Mia is describes as a dark skin girl, who's not popular but also not the geek. She's actually can't be compared to her parents nor her brother because she's totally different. She's the only one with black hair while the others are blond. But she has a bestfriend, Kim, who has a similar look. She likes sarcastic jokes and yes, I found it hard not to laugh!

When I was drowning into the story, I almost forgot that Mia's parents weren't around anymore. When Mia told about her past, I was like listening to my friend's story, like we were telling the best moment of our lives. I read those moments happily, until Wilson came and it meant that Teddy, her little brother, was gone too. My emotions was pushed to different direction. I wasn't willing to read anymore. I was too sad. My eyes were drown in tears. I was no longer sharing the best moment with a friend anymore, I was more like trying to cheer her up. She was mourning. Mia was broken. She has no one now and the option to stay seemed so far away. Until...her boyfriend, Adam, made a vow.

"If you stay, I'll do whatever you want. I'll quit the band, go with you to New York. But if you need me to go away, I'll do that, too. I was talking to Liz and she said maybe coming back to your old life would just be too painful, that maybe it'd be easier for you to erase us. And that would suck, but I'd do it. I can lose you like that if I don't lose you today. I'll let you go. If you stay."

This book is like a drug. I want more and more and more. I still can't believe that the kindle version not even has 300 pages. This book leaves me hanging. And I'm really glad I've bought the 2nd book, Where She Went. "A critically acclaimed novel that will change the way you look at life, love, and family." Apparently, it's true. Especially for the family thing. I think I cried too much not because of the story was real sad, but also because I imagined how if I lost my parents in a sudden death, without having a chance to say goodbye? Well, I know I have to keep thankful for everything I have today. I am relieved my parents and I are okay. Tomorrow is a mysteryOh, on the last page, Mia is still unconscious. So.....what will happen next? Does she decide to stay? Well, I don't know. We'll see on the next book. By the way, I've heard that this book will be brought to sceen. Who plays Adam and Mia has been decided.

Jamie Blackey will play as Adam and Chloe Grace Moretz will play as Mia. I'm not familiar with them. But apparently, Jamie takes role on Snow White and the Hunstman and I don't even remember him. I'm sure I was too crazy watching my Hemsworth there :) So so far, I don't have any critique for them. Adam isn't described as a cute handsome sporty guy and Mia is just described as sweet. I hope the movie script will be well written. I hate a movie which ruins the book version.

0 komentar:

Post a Comment